ATLANTA — Richard Woods won in a crowded primary, a runoff and the general election to be Georgia’s next superintendent of schools largely by taking the firmest stand in opposition to the Common Core education standards, but Friday he signaled moderation.

“My views are well known on the issue, but we’re going to move forward,” he said, adding that he is reaching out to Gov. Nathan Deal, the State Board of Education and legislators who supported the multistate standards.

For more than three years, the state has held local districts to the math and English standards agreed to by a majority of states as a way to ensure students gain the same skills regardless of where they live. But conservatives have opposed them, warning that they are less rigorous than Georgia’s previous standards and they were a way for federal officials to dictate what is taught in local schools.

Speaking to a group of reporters hosted by the Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education, Woods applauded a review Deal ordered the Education Board to conduct which consisted of hearings, teacher surveys and input from education-policy experts. And Woods, who will take office Monday, said he’s encouraged that the board intends to make multiple changes to the state’s standards and won’t be limited to only deviating from the by just 15 percent, which was the original agreement when the National Governor’s Association and the U.S. Department of Education sponsored adoption by each state.

Board Vice Chairman Mike Royal told the same conference he expects the review and “tweaks” will satisfy critics.

“I do believe a lot of the Common Core debate is in the rearview mirror,” he said.

That may be a premature assessment. House Democratic Leader Stacey Abrams, who supports Common Core, predicted the issue isn’t settled.

“I think there will continue to be concerns from some members of the legislature about Common Core. They are not valid,” said Abrams of Atlanta.

House Education Vice Chairman Mike Dudgeon, R-Johns Creek, another supporter, figures there’s little energy for a controversy.
“I know the legislature has a tendency to get fatigued on an issue,” he said. “I know we debated it to death last year, and I’d be surprised if it came back up this year.”

But Woods wasn’t so conciliatory that he was backing off completely.

“At some point in time, I’m going to have my attempt to make my recommendations,” he said.

Follow Walter Jones on Twitter @MorrisNews and Facebook or contact him at walter.jones@morris.com.

Login

Lost your password?