After President Donald Trump’s announcement Saturday that the U.S. military struck three Iranian nuclear weapons facilities, Georgia leaders took to social media and other platforms to express their opinions of the action. As expected, Republicans and Democrats had different reactions.
Republican Gov. Brian Kemp was one of the first to react when thanked the president on X following the bombing. He said, “America can never allow Iran to obtain a nuclear weapon.” Thank you to President Trump, our service members and intelligence personnel, and administration officials who conducted this successful operation.”
Kemp followed that Sunday with another posting that said: “Following yesterday’s successful mission to strike Iran’s nuclear weapon facilities, I joined my fellow governors from around the country today on a call with Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem to discuss any potential retaliation. We are coordinating with law enforcement on all levels as we closely monitor any possible threats. May God continue to bless our troops and first responders.”
Lt. Gov. Burt Jones, also a Republican, posted: “Iran was offered a path forward for months by a Commander in Chief who desired peace through strength. @realdonaldtrump offered peace, Iran ignored. Tonight, they saw strength. The world has grown accustomed to weakness from the White House during the past four years. No more”
And Republican Speaker of the House Jon Burns posted his support of Trump’s decision on X: “Tonight, @POTUS sent the world a clear message-the United States will never waver in our commitment to supporting Israel, our strongest ally in the Middle East. This is what peace through strength looks like. Thank you, Mr. President.”
Republican Georgia Congressman Mike Collins sent a statement that said, “A nuclear armed Iran represents an existential threat not just to our allies in the Middle East, but to global democracy and peace. I am thankful that we have a president that understands peace through strength, and it’s my hope for peace in the region soon.”
Georgia’s Democratic U.S. Senators had a different response. Sen. Raphael Warnock released a statement that said, “With thousands of American troops at risk for potential retaliation, this is not ‘the art of the deal.’ This is war. And this is not the first time the American people have been told that it will end quickly. The people deserve to hear more than they’ve heard so far and the constitution requires a much more serious engagement with their representatives.”
Sen. Jon Ossoff also issued a statement Saturday night, saying, “I pray for the safety of U.S. military service members deployed around the world and express my admiration for their courage and professionalism. Congress must be promptly and fully briefed on tonight’s operation and consulted on the Administration’s strategy.”
Some, mainly Democrats, have questioned the constitutionality of Trump’s action without Congressional approval. But Vice President J.D, Vance posted several statements that defended the action. He said America was not at war with Iran, but “at war with Iran’s nuclear program.”
“The President has clear authority to act to prevent the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and the worst weapon of mass destruction of them all is nuclear,” Vance said. He also said that he empathized with Americans who are “exhausted” by years-long U.S. involvement in the Middle East — but the difference, he argued, is that “now we have a president who actually knows how to accomplish America’s national security objectives. So this is not going to be some long-drawn out thing.”



